6/23/2011

The art of despair


A: So, what have you been up to lately? It's been a while since I last heard from you, a long while.

B: I'm mastering the art of despair. [pauses for a few seconds] What about you? Why are you calling me after such a long time?

A: Calm down. I've been thinking about us since you've left. I was fine for some time. Honestly, I even felt better during the times when I was with friends, having fun, living like how I used to live before you were in my life. It was a fun summer.

B: Hmmm... you called me to say what a great time you've been having? That's sweet of you.

A: Just calm down, can you? I wasn't done... Yes, it was a fun summer and I needed it after months of hell! Don't get me wrong, you didn't turn it into hell, I did... I was... just afraid. Anyways, when I'm alone, nothing feels really complete, nothing feels how I *think* it should, you know?

B: Honestly?... No, I don't know. I don't fake happiness, therefore I feel the same all the time. It doesn't matter whether I'm around people or not. I welcome the grief in my life, full time.

A: Ohhh, you think I'm faking happiness? If you do, your wrong. I'm not happy. I still feel miserable when I think of us, how I failed you, what I've done to you.

B: I gave you the chance to fix it. I gave us the chance to leave it all behind , I did all I could, well, actually, I did beyond my limits. You refused to embrace the gift. First you wanted it so badly and then you pushed it away with the back of your hand. What do you expect now? 
Uffff, anyways, why did you call me again??

A: Sigh
Are you done?

B: Yup.

A: I don't know why I did. I didn't think it would effect me this much, I mean I knew it'd effect me a lot, you know? But I didn't know I'd be how I'm right now. I thought I'd be ok no matter what. And I'm ok physically but my soul and my heart are far from it. I don't know what else to tell you, my heart is heavy.

B: If you don't know, then don't call me again. I've no answers to give you, not anymore. I'm the one who was left behind, used and thrown away. I can't even help myself, what do you want from me?

A: Umm, can I, one day, come visit you?

B: For what? To see what you've made of me? Would it give you pleasure like it did before?

A: It never did! Stop talking like that, please! I just want... to see you.

B: Sigh

A: Yes?

B: Alright, since I've always been the one who kept promises all the time, I'll do it again. I know I told you that my heart and door would be open to you no matter what. So, I guess I should say "yes" to your question. You can come but with one condition...

A: Thank you! And that is?

B: When you come, don't give no more hopes, promises that you'll never keep. Don't say things that will bring my guard down, once again. Just don't steal me away from myself, like you've done before.

A: I won't. Please be open minded and unbiased, I'm a changed person.

B: Me too and I'll never be the same. Let me know the date you'll be here before you arrive, till then, take care.

A: I'm sorry. You too take care, I love you.

B: [ listens, keeps quiet, hangs up ]